Thursday, April 21, 2011

Recently Added 2 (from the archives)

 
JOE TURNER & THE SEVEN LEVELS
LP: “Between Two Seconds,” EP: “Triplets EP,” Single: “Tuesday Afternoon”
I always love a good drummer turned frontman story, so I was eager to check out Joe Turner & the Seven Levels. 15 tracks of vintage psychedelic rock later, and I’m still holding out hope for every guy sweating behind the kit and harboring lead singer ambitions. Lush orchestration complete with swirling organ and synth beds definitely give these songs a trippy 1960s vibe, which, like the music of that era, make this a great album to listen to alone with the headphones on.
 
TAVONNA MILLER
EP: “4 Songs I Wish I Wrote & 1 I Actually Did”
Soul and R&B are the dominant flavors on this EP of (mostly) cover tunes by Tavonna Miller. The Berklee grad gives the songs a soulful melismatic workout, especially on her gospel tinged version of Jill Scott’s “My Petition.”  Tavonna’s original, “Me and My Baby,” features only her voice and a piano, providing ample space for her voice to breathe and explore; the EP might focus on what she wishes she wrote, but the last track shows a unique writing voice shining from behind its influences.
 
AXEMUNKEE
LP: “Sidewalk Mary”
While I generally don’t listen to a lot of instrumental music, Catherine Capozzi (aka Axemunkee) certainly proves capable of communicating without lyrics. Distorted bluesy guitar licks take center stage, while spoken word fragments briefly flutter across the spectrum only to fade away. Capozzi’s hard grooving back up band allows her to cut loose with sheets of guitar, especially on stompers like “Blas Famous” and “Slinky Mistress.”

- Patrick Coman (with a teeny bit of Cullen Corley)

No comments:

Post a Comment